Hello everyone. Today we’ll talk about a new location, the battle system, and plans for the future.
In the game series about corsairs, in our opinion, the player didn’t have the ability to train fighting skills and refine different methods of combat. Getting killed on a ship while trying to capture a bigger one, the player had to keep trying to win a fight using the same combination of attacks from previous fights.
In Corsairs Legacy, the player will have the ability to train fighting skills and test new methods of combat in the arena with other fighters. We implemented the ability to fight with one, two, or three opponents without a fatal outcome at any time. As a reward for winning, the player will receive a healing item. The economy is structured in such a way that it’s impossible to use the arena to quickly earn coins, however, the player will benefit by defeating opponents without using healing potions.
Earlier, in a different devlog, we’ve shown you battle animations. We tried to make the most recognizable animations while having 2 goals:
- Corsairs Legacy will be interesting to fans of games about pirates created earlier. Respecting the gaming experience of players, we make a simple and comfortable transition to the new game.
- Before creating something new, it’s important to realize the main pros and cons of the decisions that fans appreciated in previously released games. Thoroughly having dealt with the battle system, we noticed a few things that could be improved and made more interesting. But before we start working on the global “update” of the battle mode, we will give players an opportunity to play, as usual, collect reviews, and based on well-established mechanics we will start making changes in the next games.
Nevertheless, the first game will include several features that people who play RPG games got used to over the last years.
When the character receives damage, the screen gets red. On low health, the red border starts blinking and all other sounds are muffled by heartbeats, simulating pulsing in the temple.
In those moments of a fight, the game will give the player a hint that a healing potion can be used if there are some in the inventory. The game can also inform about the inability to heal if there are no healing potions in the player’s inventory.
The player can pause at any time of a fight to tactically evaluate the situation on the battlefield and resume fighting when they are ready. Hints about controls will allow beginner players to quickly find the necessary combination of buttons.
For those who like playing with a clean screen, in Corsairs Legacy, there is an ability to turn off UI and, thanks to red indicators, you can always be aware of the character’s state.
We developed our own shooting system and camera movement when a shot occurs. We added a chance to miss if the player’s aim will be inaccurate.
We also reimplemented a circular attack and now characters aren’t turning their backs at the moment of a hit.
The battle system is composed of 6 different types of blade attacks, block attacks, and a pistol shot. The character can do:
- chopping hit – the quickest hit that requires a minimal amount of time, it’s effective when trying to stop an opponent from doing a piercing hit;
- piercing hit – the most energy-intensive hit, it’s able to penetrate block, however, due to larger swing, it can be stopped by an opponent;
- thrust – a quick stabbing hit that’s more effective than chopping hit but requires more time;
- circular hit – it’s able to deal damage to multiple opponents at once. It’s most effective when fighting more than one opponent;
- parry – it allows to reject any hit of an opponent without wasting energy;
- feint – it allows parrying a hit with an immediate counterattack.
Block allows defending against thrust, chopping, and circular hit.
Hitting a target with a pistol shot deals a lot of damage to an opponent and requires some time to reload.
A healing potion can be canceled by any hit at the moment of drinking it.
We plan to remove pistols from the arena, but for now, we kept the main character’s shooting ability to test all mechanics.
We told you everything about the battle system and now it’s time for another development news. We are currently preparing to release a demo game, which is already appeared on Steam, so subscribe to the game so as not to miss the release.
A video version of this devlog is available on YouTube by link.
Previous Post: Corsairs Legacy Devlog №11: Character Models