Sea Dogs is a cult series of pirate-themed games. Since the first part of Sea Dogs, released back in 2000, it combines land and sea gameplay.
In the first mode, players in the Sea Dogs are waiting for hand-to-hand fights using melee and firearms, interesting quests, voluminous dialogues, trade, and a role-playing system. In the second, the battles of sailing ships and flotillas and the exploration of the archipelago.
Sea Dogs fans especially speak warmly about the spirit of sea adventures and pirate adventure, which is reinforced not only by the depth of mechanics and high quality of content in the Sea Dogs series of games but also by an amazing soundtrack that has not aged to this day.
The history of the Sea Dogs franchise began in November 2000, when Akella's Sea Dogs saw the light of day, which became the world's first 3D pirate game.
Moreover, everything was not limited to one championship: the Sea Dogs project set a fairly high bar for quality. Already at that time, both land and sea gameplay were present. Sailing ship battles alternated with fencing, quests, copious dialogue, character progression, and trading. Strongly stands out as a three-dimensional game in 2000 and dynamic weather.
The success led to the next installment in the franchise, Sea Dogs 2: Pirates of the Caribbean, which increased the merits of its predecessor.
At this point, fans began to actively modify the Sea Dogs game. Some communities, such as PiratesAhoy!, have gone especially far with this, reaching the level of full-fledged add-ons (in the case of PiratesAhoy!, we are talking about New Horizons).
However, the amount of content and the technical condition of Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (Sea Dogs 3), released in 2006, put the reputation of the series into question.
Despite the situation, fans continued to modify the Sea Dogs project. But if in the case of Pirates of the Caribbean (Sea Dogs 2) the question was about improving an already high-quality game, now it was about bringing Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (Sea Dogs 3) to the state in which the previous parts were released.
The Seaward team has succeeded in this. Their project Corsairs: Return of the Legend not only fixed the technical problems of the original Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (Sea Dogs 3) but also greatly expanded the gameplay and added a lot of new content.
The success of the Sea Dogs did not go unnoticed by the publisher, Akella, who subsequently began working with Seaward to further improve their project, an official release under the title Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships, and, when the rest was completed, the development of a new Sea Dogs 4 of the Sea Dogs franchise.
However, the Sea Dogs 4 project was frozen in 2008. Akella continued to cooperate with another fan community, BlackMark Studio, who created the Sea Dogs: To Each His Own addon, and further arranged the official release of this particular game. Seaward didn't work on the Sea Dogs franchise anymore.
The very game Sea Dogs: To Each His Own received a lot of feedback: mostly positive from the players who came from Age of Pirates: City of Abandoned Ships, but there were many mixed and negative ones.
Players were especially critical of the developers' very questionable decisions regarding the level of difficulty in the game Sea Dogs: To Each His Own, for example, abundant time limits. Beginners also noted an extremely high barrier to entry.
Later, the publisher of the Sea Dogs, Akella, went bankrupt. Even among the developers of Sea Dogs, the question of who gets the bulk of the profits from their sales remains unclear.
In 2018, Black Sun Game Publishing announced the creation of a new project in the legendary franchise, namely Sea Dogs: Black Mark. At first, apart from the concept art, nothing specific was provided to the players, but then a teaser appeared.
On the one hand, fans of the theme complained about the excessively staged teaser shown, on the other hand, it was clear that work was underway on the game.
However, the process never reached the main development stage of Sea Dogs: Black Mark.
Despite the current extremely unfavorable situation around the Sea Dogs series of games, our team remembers what heights Seaward achieved in the City of Abandoned Ships and wants to continue their work.
At the moment, we are developing a pirate life simulation game Corsairs Legacy to not only give new life to the legendary Sea Dogs game series that we love so much, but also contribute to the popularization of the marine theme in general and pirate games in particular.
If you are interested in our work, you can follow the project news on our website, YouTube channel, and Telegram. You can learn more about our project, as well as add it to your wishlist, on the game page on Steam.
You can also read the materials about the games of the Sea Dogs series posted on our website.
Sea Dogs (Age of Pirates)
Sea Dogs 2: Pirates of the Caribbean / Corsairs 2
- Sea Dogs 2: Pirates of the Caribbean / Corsairs 2
- Sea Dogs with Yurii (Ursus) Rogach: Pirates of the Burning Sea, Pirates of the Caribbean, future of Sea Dogs 4. Interview
Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (Sea Dogs 3)
- Where to download Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (Sea Dogs 3)?
- Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales (Sea Dogs 3) on the GTA San Andreas engine
Age of Pirates: Mysteries of Distant Seas
- Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales add-on (Sea Dogs series). How it was: Denis Khaliullin
- Where to download Age of Pirates: Mysteries of Distant Seas?
Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships
- Archipelago Maps for Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships
- The best weapons in Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships and add-ons to it
- Where to download Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships?
Sea Dogs: To Each His Own
- Interview with the developer of Sea Dogs: To Each His Own. The first part of the interview
- Interview with the developer of Sea Dogs To Each His Own. The second part of the interview
- Key moments in the creation of the game Sea Dogs. To Each His Own
- Where to download and buy the game Sea Dogs: To Each His Own?
- Is there hardcore in Sea Dogs: To Each His Own? Opinion of BlackMark Studio developers
- The best weapon in Sea Dogs: To Each His Own
- Sea Dogs: History of Creation The Seaward.RU Team. Interview With ALexusB
- Secret islands in the Sea Dogs: To Each His Own
- Sea Dogs: To Each His Own archipelago map. Mod on the island water borders
Sea Dogs 4
- Were Sea Dogs 4: The Black Spot in development?
- Will there be Sea Dogs 4?
- $1 million budget for 12 months for Sea Dogs 4. Interview with Eduard (Eddy) Zaitsev
Corsairs Ship Pack
- Corsairs Ship Pack. Creator's view of his mod pack for Sea Dogs. The first part of the interview
- Corsairs Ship Pack. The creator of the assembly of mods about the MaelStrom engine in detail. The second part of the interview
- About vassyanstvo in Corsairs Ship Pack and Sea Dogs To Each His Own. The third part of the interview with the creator of the assembly of mods
- Where to download Corsairs Ship Pack?
Sea Dogs: A Pirate's Story
Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons
- Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons / Sea Dogs 2 - interview with Pieter Boelen from PiratesAhoy!